The goal of the challenge is for you to have an tournament level 1850 painted point army by the end of the year (Nov 30th, 2013).
This years challenge differs in some significant ways from the previous years challenge. It should be more flexible and allow you to make more changes and gear the challenge to meet your specific needs.
So get your glue, brushes and paints ready. It is time to make some progress on those projects that have been taunting you for entirely too long.
Here are the rules around this years challenge:
- Start a thread in the IC's 2013 Hobby Progress Challenge thread in the following format: Name - Army
- Post your list in the thread. Please do not post point values for individual models and their equipment as this could violate GW Copyright), but you can post total points per unit.
- Each month you must complete painting at least one unit, vehicle or Independent Character to tournament standards (3 color minmum).
- Please show before and after pictures to get credit for a model or unit.
- If you have fewer units than months in the challenge, you just have to complete the painted army.
- If at any time you exceed the painting challenge (ie: You complete your entire army prior to the challenge being over) you still qualify for the grandprize.
- You must have the entire 1850 army completed by November 30th 2013.
- We will accept models that are already primed, basecoated, or stripped. They do not have to be NEW but this should be their starting point.
- You are allowed to change your army or list at any time, but you MUST have the completed 1850 (fieldable) army, which is painted during the contest, at the end of the challenge to qualify.
- Allies can be a part of the 1850 list, but it must conform to force org/playable standards.
It sounds more complicated than it really is. You basically just commit to paint something each month until you are done!
We at the Independent Characters believe in rewards and incentives. With that in mind, we've got a load of different contests in mind, including periodic (perhaps even monthly awards) to participants, a great prize contest for those who complete, and a 'participants' prize drawing for those players who fall short of their final goals.
For every month that the Hobby Challenge is met, the Challenger will receive one entry into the drawing for the Grand Prize - for a total of 11 entries. (Prize still yet to be determined) If the challenger falls short, each month they completed their goals will enter them in the "Participants" Prize Drawing, so that you still have a chance to win something for all your hard work.
If you have met the goal of the Hobby Challenge on November 30th, 2013 - you are eligible for the Grand Prize Drawing (Prize still to be determined - but it will be a good one!). Even if you miss a goal from month to month, if at the end of the period you have completed the 1850 Point army, you are eligible for the grand prize (you just have fewer entries into the drawing if you miss a month).
After the Grand Prize is drawn, we will have a drawing for the Participants Prize (Prize yet to be determined!). For every month of your commitments that you have met, even if you haven't finished your 1850 point army, you qualify for one entry into the drawing for the participants prize. So if you only met six of your months goals, you would have six entries into the Participants Prize. If you finished your full 1850 points woth of models but didn't win the Grand Prize, you are still eligible to win the Participants Prize!
Prizes will be drawn in the first show of December of 2013.
Hobby Progress Challenge FAQ:
Q: What if I complete my whole army ahead of schedule?
A: There is no penalty for completing your army early! If you do, you qualify for all entries into the Grand Prize and Participants Prize drawings.
Q: I have already started painting an army and I am about halfway done. Can I just build on that for my entry into The Hobby Progress Challenge?
A: The purpose of the challenge is to all work together to drive each other to meet our goals from beginning to end. However, we also understand that not everyone wants to run out and buy a brand new army right now while they are in the process of working on one. So we have compromised on this a little bit. Once you have provided a list for your army, you should indicate which units are already painted on the list. You should then come up with an expansion to your army which is equal to the number of points that you have painted already. You can then use these units to supplement your army. These units can even be ally units for your main force.
Q: When do I have to put up my commitment for the month?
A: You MUST put up your commitment for the coming month prior to the 1st of the month. Likewise, the completion of your commitment must be BEFORE the 1st of the following month. (So the last day of the month)
Q: What if my models are already primed and/or basecoated?
A: This is fine. Just make sure you paste the picture of them in their primed/basecoated condition. We aren't going to be too stickler about this here. But the idea is that you are working from a clean palette. So models that you have purchased on ebay and then stripped/primed are fine. We don't need to see the models prior to assembly!
Q: When does the challenge start?
The challenge officially starts in January. You do NOT have to post list or your first unit choice prior to January. Just publish your before pictures and list before you get started.
Updated information will be made available here:
If you have any additional questions, please post them in the thread there so we can have our admins answer them and then update the FAQ.
Thanks and good luck this year!