What is "Show of Force"?
Show of Force is a new series of episodes we will spread out through our releases of The Independent Characters. These shows take a look at each army in the Warhammer 40,000 Universe and seek to answer the question "Why should you collect this army?"
But I thought you said you don't do Codex Overviews?
Good point. We still don’t! Notice that nowhere in the above paragraph did I mention the Codex. This is because what we are doing is not a unit by unit accounting of each army. We are of course going to talk about the Codex, it is a part of the army. But what most “Codex Overviews” that other shows fail to discuss is the army as a whole part of the universe.
This is a Celebration of the Hobby
When you think about it, our style of play here at The Independent Characters, which focuses highly on narrative and campaign aspects, as well as playing the game in a myriad of different ways, doesn’t really work with the standard "Codex Overview" format you get from most other Warhammer 40,000 Podcasts.
So we thought about it, and asked the question "How could this be revitalized and represent how we play the game?" These are the answers we came up with:
- The over-arching goal would be to answer the question, which used to be posed at the front of the codex "Why collect this army?"
- Each host would play at a minimum, one game with the army but preferably more, in preparation for recording the episode.
- We would bring on guest hosts that were appropriate to the army in question. People in the community that play that army and can lend greater insight.
- We would go into the background of the army and how they fit into the greater Warhammer 40,000 Universe.
- We would discuss how the army has evolved over time in regards to its history within the game.
- We would talk about what other support there is for this army. From Black Library books about it to Forge World support for it, we would give you some insight into how you can get even more invested in it.
- We would discuss a few, select, signature units from the army and talk about why we love those specifically. These may not be the most powerful or even most useful units, but we would talk about why they stand out.
- We would talk about various ally options, including what makes sense and what doesn't.
- We would discuss the model line at length. Talking about the highs and lows it has, and again delving into how it is supported through Forge World and even some third party options. Even talking about where you might want to save money by magnetizing certain units.
- We would have some discussion around how the lore of the army is played out on the table top and does it do a good job of representing itself there.
- We would set out to interview experts on the army. Whether those people are highly ranked tournament players, Black Library authors, or others as appropriate, we would have their input and ask them what appeals to them about the army.
- We would then summarize with some list ideas for the army and decide whether this is a good army for someone just starting out.
Keeping all of that in mind, we will be going through each army at a time, though certainly not in back to back episodes. This coverage will take every aspect of the army we are talking about into account, and doing so takes some time and preparation.
We hope you enjoy this coverage as we bring it to you. I think you will agree that no one has quite done anything like it yet, and if it proves popular we hope to continue it for the foreseeable future.
The good news is that we have already started recording portions of our first episode featuring "Show of Force" and you can look forward to hearing about it in Episode 96!
We are always interested in your feedback so feel free to let us know what you think.